Sunday, September 19, 2010

Fran and Frustration

I have been somewhat frustrated by my progress in my workout goal.  In particular, I have tried to stick to a program of 3 days working out, 1 day off, 2 on, 1 off.  I have been stymied.  I just can't seem to recover enough.  All the more frustrating since the official Crossfit program is 3 on, 1 off, all the time.  So I reviewed my workout log, which goes back to January 08.  I looked at the workouts that I did when I considered myself in my prime.  My schedule was very haphazard back then.  3 on, 3 off, 5 on, 1 off, 2 on, 2 off, etc.  But I looked at an average for a month and found that I was consistently working out an average of 20-21 days per month, ie. the equivalent of a 2 on-1 off program.  I have been somewhat relieved to find that I was getting decent results working out 67% of the time.  So I'm going to implement a consistent 2-1 rotation.  We'll see how it goes.  Oh yeah, this all underscores the importance of keeping a record of your workouts.

Today was dedicated to Fran, a Crossfit legend.  The giants amongst Crossfit giants do this workout under 2:30.  I guess that makes me a pygmy.  My time was 10:09.  My best ever was 6:55 on 7/31/08. 
Fran 
21-15-9 reps of
95 lbs Thruster
Kipping Pullups

Another important lesson for today:  strength plays a huge part in doing these workouts quickly and successfully.  I wasn't slowed down by lack of cardio, but by a lack of shoulder strength and leg power to drive out of the bottom of the front squat.  I'll try to do Fran again as I near the end of my goal to see how much I can improve.  At this point, 15 workouts down, 42 to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment