Saturday, August 14, 2010

Grace and Ryan

Another posting for Crossfit Geeks only.

Did Grace on Aug. 12th in 13:55.  Grace is 30 reps of clean and jerk at 135 pounds for time.  There has been some debate about whether that means squat or power cleans.  Since most videos I've seen are of power cleans, that is what I did - power cleans and push jerk. 

Fast forward a few days.  I usually workout alone in my own dirty little warehouse gym.  But when you're going to tackle a tough workout, it definitely helps to have some company, if only because you'll be too embarrassed to cop out half way through the workout.   So I headed over to CrossfitAthens for a workout.  Adam Head is a great guy and has a great gym.  Anyone in the Athens area serious about getting in shape should visit him.   

I saw a pair of gymnast rings hanging in the gym and decided I'd try a muscle up or two.  (Muscle up?  Visualize doing a pull up and moving into a dip in one motion.)  They were amazingly easy.  In fact I did two in a row easily even though I hadn't practiced them in over a year.  So I made a fated decision:  do Ryan.

"Ryan?" you ask. 
To which I respond:
Five rounds for time of:
  • 7 Muscle-ups
  • 21 Burpees
  • Each burpee terminates with a jump one foot above max standing reach.

Named for
Maplewood, Missouri Firefighter, Ryan Hummert, 22, was killed by sniper fire July 21st 2008 when he stepped off his fire truck responding to a call. He is survived by his parents Andrew and Jackie Hummert.  














It was epic.  The first round was a breeze.  Six muscle-ups in a row, a personal best.  The burpees were a litle tough but not too bad.  Then I began the second round.  It was like I hit the proverbial "wall."  I realized I probably wasn't quite up to this workout.  It was brutal.  Had I been alone at home, I confess I would have wimped out after three rounds.  But I pushed on and finally collapsed in a puddle of my own sweat half an hour later.  Official time:  30:56.  I've been wiped out all afternoon and haven't fully recovered yet.

I know many (including my wife) will think I'm crazy.  But the sense of accomplishment is directly proportional to the obstacle overcome.  Sometimes it's good for you to bite off a little more than you can chew and refuse to give up.

Here's to Ryan.  RIP

No comments:

Post a Comment