Saturday, August 21, 2010

Field Trip Day for Griff

This morning I took a field trip to the local high school track for Griff, today's hero.

Griff:
Run 800 m
Run 400 m backwards
Run 800 m
Run 400 m backwards

Result:  14:19

Running backwards is deceptively difficult with respect to both coordination and leg endurance.  Two laps around the track is not enough to make running backwards feel natural.  And I was surprised at how fast my legs began to burn while running backwards.  The most interesting part was turning around for next 800 meter run.  My legs momentarily forgot how to run forwards.  Fortunately it was very early in the morning and I was alone because for a few steps I suspect I looked like a newborn just learning to walk.  It was not a terribly difficult workout because I couldn't run fast enough backwards to keep my heart rate elevated.  But with a bit of practice, this one could be intense.  But I'm not sure that running backwards is not particularly practical skill to devote a lot of time to.  So I'll let this one stand.

My opinion of the workout does not lessen my respect for a guy who sacrificed everything:
In honor of USAF SSgt Travis L. Griffin, 28, who was killed April 3, 2008 in the Rasheed district of Baghdad by an IED strike to his vehicle. Travis is survived by his son Elijah.

No comments:

Post a Comment